Friday, January 31, 2020

Perspective Helps

Originally published January 2011
Something that has helped me A LOT in the past (diabetes-wise) was to have a paradigm shift or change in perspective about certain things. 
For example, I still struggle with feeling “poor” sometimes and yet, thinking about those who have no home, no food, no family, or no clean water quickly snaps me back into the “rich” category.
I’ve said this before but, I used to have a terrible time getting my blood sugar to stay below 200.  My goal was that: to keep it below 200.  I would fail miserably and endure lots of 300’s and 400’s. 
Then I thought to myself, “maybe my target should change?”  So I started aiming for 100-all the time.  No mind that this isn’t possible, the point was, shouldn’t I be aiming at the right place in the first place?  Then when I get a little outside my target zone at least I’m still not doing too bad?
I thought this was a silly thing to think although I tried it anyway.  And I couldn’t believe it but, it worked!
It was the equivalent of raising my own bar.  It was bringing up my expectations.  As a result, my actions met these expectations and I got much closer to where I needed to be. 
A major change in perspective also helped me in another crucial area:
I used to feel like the most unlucky gal in the world because of having type 1 diabetes.  And so I blamed every single negative thing in life on my diabetes.  I didn’t push myself through college because: diabetes.  I didn’t have confidence in myself because: diabetes.  I didn’t exercise regularly because: diabetes.  I wasn’t happy because: diabetes.
The truth is that diabetes DOES make everything in life harder.  I know that.  I want you to know I know that.  Problem is, not taking care of our diabetes will eventually make life EVEN harder later! 
I often think, “It’s like I can’t win”.  Maybe you do too, sometimes.  Well, we’ve got to scratch that line from our brains.  We need to just focus on how we’re alive (others have not made it to whatever age we’re at).  We have a roof over our heads (many others do not).  We can afford insulin (unbelievably so, some cannot).  And many of us still have the ability to gently exercise each day, have confidence in ourselves and be happy simply because we choose to, and push forward with our dreams and aspirations even though we’ll have to push much harder than others.  We can! 
And having the right perspective…helps.
PS: Don’t let any negative person tell you that diabetics don’t want to hear that perspective helps.  If we’re humble, we’ll know it’s the truth and if we let it, it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment