Friday, January 31, 2020

Diabetes Troubleshooting Delayed Stomach Emptying

Originally published January 2010.
Sometimes you got to play detective.  Here is my story:
I used to suffer from occasional periods of time where my blood sugar would be persistently high.  I would play cat and mouse with insulin and food just trying to normalize my blood sugars.
These periods would happen about every 3 or 4 weeks.  Strange.  And frustrating.
So I began taking notes:
-blood sugar been running high for 4 days
-need more than normal amount of insulin to lower high blood sugars
-feel fuller than normal lately and not very hungry
-been busy lately and have skipped a few workouts
-haven’t been drinking enough fluids and have had a few fast food meals this week
-haven’t been “regular” lately…maybe that is why I feel full?
hmmm…I called the doctor to ask if not having daily stomach emptying could cause insulin absorption to lessen.  He says, “It very well could but, I’m not sure”
Okayyy…
I decided to do a colon cleanse and see what that did for my blood sugars. 
Oh. my. gosh.
First my blood sugar went really low.  Then I notice it became very easy for me to keep blood sugars stable AND I didn’t need as much insulin as before.  ( repeat tests of this have proven the same thing every time by the way)
Now, to get to the root of the problem:  I asked myself  “why do I suffer periods of time where I don’t “go” everyday?”
I looked back at my notes and realized I had not been drinking enough water or eating enough fiber or exercising enough.  All of this which contributes to this little problem of oh lets just say it-constipation. (yeah, I just winced)
Anyway, I changed my eating habits, began drinking enough water, made sure to keep exercising, and made sure to keep natural senna tea on hand (for emergencies only). 
The result?  I no longer suffer from this frustrating “strange phenomenon” of monthly insulin de-sensitization and lingering high blood sugars.  What a relief! 
And all I had to do was use this:  diabetic troubleshooting method.

No comments:

Post a Comment