Friday, January 31, 2020

5 Things a Diabetic Woman Must Do Before Wearing High Heels

Originally published September 2009.

Before I became temporarily home bound due to twin babies, I wore 3 and 4 inch heels every day and could even sprint in them if needed.   However, this wasn’t always the case.  
Let me save you the trouble of learning the hard way as I did.
If you are a diabetic and want to wear high heels comfortably, here is what you need to do:
1.  Tightly control your blood sugar
Make sure it is very much controlled or your feet will suffer a price.  Years ago I had neuropathy pain in my feet.  After normalizing my blood sugars, the pain disappeared.  (Just so you know it is possible to reverse!)  Only then could I finally wear all of the cute shoes I loved.
2.  Get to a healthy weight 
If you are overweight the amount of pressure exerted on your feet will likely be too much.  Years ago, I couldn’t wear my favorite type of shoe-4 inch stilettos, until I lost some weight.  Currently, I have 10 pounds to lose after my pregnancy, so I’m not wearing heels just yet.  My feet are worth the wait.  Check out my article on how I reversed nerve damage.
3.  Exercise
If you do exercise and stretch just a little a day, you will greatly improve circulation to your feet.  This is very important if your diabetes has begun to affect your lower extremities.  Personally, yoga has helped me a lot with circulation.  So has running!
4.  Don’t go cheap
This isn’t the place to save.  If you are going to wear high heels, you should buy a comfortable pair.  It is actually better you have one awesome pair that feels good on than 10 different cheap foot killers.  If the shoe doesn’t feel too great when you try it on at the store, chances are it will really hurt after a couple hours.
5.  Do not withstand the pain
If you have done all you can to be able to wear heels and they still hurt, don’t wear them!  You can cause permanent nerve damage to your feet.  There are so many adorable flat shoes these days.  There is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to give up your beloved heels and look and feel fabulous in flat, comfy shoes. 
So DO protect your precious feet.  Unlike shoes, you can’t get another pair!

No comments:

Post a Comment