Friday, January 31, 2020

8 Week Carnivore Diet Update

Originally published November 20th 2018

I didn’t think I’d make it this long. Here are the last few weeks’ observations:
I began to check my blood pressure once or twice a day and found it keeping around 95/65 which is a bit on the low side. I take 10 mg lisinopril per day and cut down to 5 mg. My blood pressure dropped a little more and made me dizzy, so I removed it entirely.
But, something always stresses me out each month as I have terrible premenstrual syndrome symptoms and poor stress management (I think, anyway), so I kept a close eye on my blood pressure. Sure enough, stress made it jump up one evening to 130/115 so for several days I was sure to keep taking enough medication to push that back down. The anxiety has subsided, and so has my blood pressure, so now I’m down to 2.5 mg- 5 mg per day as a buffer–it doesn’t make my blood pressure too low and is there to help should I get overstressed. As soon as I feel stress growing, I think I’ll have to check my blood pressure and give a little more medication as prescribed (my doctor lets me monitor and adjust my dose slightly on my own).

Carnivore Diet Plus PMS

It was hard going through my period without alcohol or something sweet to help me cope. I might be more ashamed to admit this if I actually knew anyone who didn’t lean on something edible for comfort. If you’re one of these people who can go through physical pain and emotional turmoil and not turn to a little food or drink, I think I’d love to meet you. And maybe learn from you.
Anyway, once that was over, I felt much better. Something I did in the week before the extra stress and blood pressure elevation was consumed pre-salted hamburger patties (which were way too salty for me). I felt better switching to eggs at mid-morning and steak in the evening, both with salt. If you research the carnivore diet you’ll hear that you need plenty of electrolytes. This may be true but my blood pressure medicine raises my potassium a bit, and I take magnesium powder every morning. The moderate amount of salt on my food seems ok so far. I’ll keep noting further changes as this is new to me.
I’m still recovering from a knee injury from May, so all I can do is light exercise. That’s perfectly easy to do on this diet. I can walk miles, use resistance bands, and cook/clean without problems. I feel better actually, possibly due in part to my blood sugars being even better than before but also because my digestion is a non-issue for the first time in my life. I’m not even aware of it. I think that’s how we’re supposed to be, no?
I’m doing better with cravings now. I wish I didn’t have to fix the occasional low blood sugar with glucose because that keeps me in touch with the taste of sweetness. Still, I can watch someone eat pizza and feel nothing. I crave broccoli…but you know what’s funny? I don’t crave the thought of broccoli unless it’s got cheese or butter on it. When I think of other vegetables, the same thing happens! Does this mean I’ve been using vegetables as a carrier for other foods? Has my loud and proud love of vegetables been more of a virtual signal this whole time?
You could argue I like the combinations of the bitter and salty and sweet and creamy, etc., and you’d be on to something. We don’t tend to overconsume butter alone, we overconsume butter when it’s mixed with sugar and flour and salt and made into cookies. And many of us can’t resist these combinations–to the point of utterly destroying our health. Am I one of these people? Maybe. On my regular diet of animal foods and vegetables, I tend to avoid low-carb treats because the Pringles Syndrome– “once you pop you can’t stop” sets in.
My weight is down a bit more. I can finally put on most of my pre-pregnancy clothing. I have been trying to do that for about ten years, and I did it without feeling hungry!
At this rate, I’ll be at my pre-wedding weight by Christmas. I’ll be curious to see if that helps my blood pressure. I’m sure it will help my knees. Any extra weight means compounded weight on one’s knees and feet, and less is more for healing my quadriceps tendon tear.
I haven’t noticed any positive changes in my skin issues nor joint clicking and pain. Even if this diet doesn’t solve specific problems, it may help me rule out some things or provide hints. It may take more time, too. So many unknowns! I feel kind of nuts, but not entirely because I feel better than before and better is…well, better!

No comments:

Post a Comment